This blog is essentially a collection of posts I used to write on Facebook combined with my travel blog and expanded to make a very public forum of my thoughts regarding Pop Culture, The Interweb, Cartoons, Comics, Ultimate Frisbee, Absurdity, Life, Travel and whatever else captures my attention long enough to write about it...

Enter at your own peril!

22 May 2010

3 planes, 2 busses, 2 car trips, a train, a ferry and a load of walking...

So I'm in Norway now... and losing battles with keyboards left, right and centre...

Anyway I'm 3 days into my trip now (i think) and i've been noting down what i've been doing in my little journal thing so i'll put down the relevant info here.

1) Tim Minchin is pretty cool, I watched one of his live shows and the doco on him on the qantas flight i was on... but thanks to some system stuff ups missed the end of both (if you were already on the list qantas you'd be on the list).
2) i finally got to see airline turbulence... not massive, but enough to postpone them serving the meals... that made the flight interesting.
3) Ev and Linus's kick to the head podcast is worth the money... all $0 of it... and i'll forward my comments direct to them... suffice to say boys, I own a razor scooter and a mambo hawaian shirt (both dating back to the 90s) and yes avril lavinge sucks but she's very very pretty.
4) The men who stare at goats, hurt locker and district 9 are all good movies (can we see the district 10 sequal coming yet?)

As for the 36 hours I spent travelling... well initially i was to be flying sydney, bangkok, amsterdam, oslo and then training or bussing to Moss. But KLA cancelled my bangkok to amsterdam flight... sooo they changed me to a Singapore to Amsterdam flight and put me on a qantas one to singapore meaning i had to transfer mid flight... the poor girl at singapore airport trying to deal with my transfer at midnight local time was very very confused.
Additionally due to the changed middle leg of my flight i landed at Amsterdam to late to get my original Oslo flight... so I was put on one to Torp, not Oslo. Torp is a smaller airport 100km+ SE of Oslo... Moss (my first stop) is 100km+ SW of Oslo on the other side of the FJORD... So after my plane I needed to get a train, a bus and a ferry to get to Moss. Suffice to say i got off the plane and was instantly lost... but managed to get to Moss without needing to back track once or taking a wrong turn. The ''clueless australian tourist'' schtick works well for getting directional advice.
On that note... Norwegian PT... WOW... Way to clean and trusting...
The only real hiccup was trying to get the number of the people I'm staying with so I could get to their house. It took a while with a lot of wandering around in Moss trying to find somewhere I could access the internet. But eventually I managed to charm a pretty little norwegian girl at a travel agents to look it up for me in the Norwegian ''yellow pages'' on the web... she was very nice to a sweaty stinky clearly cluelessly useless australian backpacker who was never going to be a customer...

I have some other things i wanted to post, but can't upload the pictures yet so i won't mention them yet... but there are street signs that say 'fart'... tee hee

So that was the first ''two'' days of my travel and after a lovely night sleeping off my jetlag I spent today faffing about in Larkollen with the people I'm staying with and reading my book. Off to Oslo tomorrow arvo maybe... or maybe the day after... I'll decide later.

So no issues so far, except the driving on the 'other' (not wrong... OTHER) side of the road causes me a little confusion... i keep looking the wrong way. I'd say I'm at risk of being hit, except Norwegian drivers seem to stop the moment you even look like you might consider crossing the road...
oh and the sun doesn't go down till like 11pm... weird...

Love, hugs ænd kisses
ÅNt

No comments:

Post a Comment