This blog is essentially a collection of posts I used to write on Facebook combined with my travel blog and expanded to make a very public forum of my thoughts regarding Pop Culture, The Interweb, Cartoons, Comics, Ultimate Frisbee, Absurdity, Life, Travel and whatever else captures my attention long enough to write about it...

Enter at your own peril!

13 July 2010

The End of the World Frisball "Bunch of Friends" Competition

So day 3 of Worlds... Back to the afternoon shift and scoring, although this time I didn't get to do any scoring because of weather interruptions. To all the players and people at WUCCs I'm not saying anything new when I talk about "that rainy day" nor am I mentioning anything new when I say the buses to and from the fields were a bit shambles at times...

Anyway on day 3 I had an arvo shift at Slavia (so not Strahov where I was staying) and I decided to hop a slightly earlier bus over to Slavia so that I could watch Smurf from Adelaide play. Getting the bus at a non shift/game change time did mean that there was only 3 people on the bendy bus (including the driver) which may have been what prompted him to get off the bus (engine running) at an intersection to get a drink... I arrived (in one piece) to find Smurf looking fairly comfortable against Jeremy Codhand and I thought (in true dutiful australian fashion) "well I am outside... time for sunscreen"... not 35 seconds after I had rubbed in the last of my sunscreen (the tips of my ears as normal) than *BOOM* epic thunderstorm... Players eventually ran for cover to emerge later on the astroturf fields I was scoring to resume their games (all 3 throws of the Smurf game). As usual however kerfuffle reigns and whilst it was a simple return to play on Astroturf it was not so simple on the grass fields as "you can't resume play for an hour". Scoring at neglected whoop whoop (ie fields 27-28) and on astroturf we didn't get this message and allowed the next game, Mephisto from Canada vs Smiggetlydigglybigglyyodleyodle (Ikea) from Sweden to begin smack bang on time... The real difficulties began at 7-7 (one break each and a Callaghan) when the teams were told to get off the fields to let the other teams from the washed out games resume their play... Understandly the confusion, frustration and cold/wet/bedraggledness was palpable... So basically I did no scoring that day either...

In the evening we met Johnny and his random friend who I can't remember the name of (maybe WB does?) and we went off to club 11 to have a few drinks... I did catch another hedgehog though =)

So day 4 of the Woo Coo Cuck Cucks was a little confusing with longer shifts and shorter games (to fit in the afternoon games rained out) but I got to do an easy morning shift scoring Honey vs Tequila, China vs Russia and 'Card vs Jinx.
In true Honey form the girls decided to let the time cap go at 6-9 and score to make it 7-9 game to 11... and then win 11-10... ps Tequilla Boom Boom had the most annoying cheer of the tournament.
China vs Russia was only notable for the Russians inability to wear clothes and their shoddy spirit.
'Card vs Jinx was pretty cool though as it put Nadine and I "head to head" so to speak... Although I did get told off by the Germans for cheering =( I took some nice pics though.

That afternoon consisted of napping, a little eating, more napping and then off to trade night where I managed to offload ALL the shirts I wanted to trade... Including a misprinted fakulti and a hills jersey... Not to mention the fact that I'd been backpacking for months and while I hadn't worn them for a while leaving them all stuffed in a bag kinda meant that smelt a little bit terrible beyond belief... And they still traded... I am the trade MASTER... And as for the evenings activities all I'm going to say is "WB fail..." we all know why.

Next day was a wake up at 8, breakfast and back to bed afternoon shift... Off to the other fields I got to score a Kaboom game and the Greys... The north american call fest ultimate style shits me to tears and anyone who feels that ultimate can't be played in good spirit (or even competitively) without observers shit me. If Ultimate ends up going down that path in Australia (which I don't think it will) I think you will find me not playing anymore. Maybe we should kill the losers of the game gladiator style to make it as serious as some people take it... I play for the fun of it, but a lot of players seem to not actually enjoy the act of playing... just the act of winning...
We then had a rather "large" evening without intending it... but it was very funny... The Sport Ing bar and it's Chinese man enhanced dancefloor and more hedgehog catching ensured... and it was lots and lots of fun. Not to mention more burns from Lucie (such as "no pigeon" and "no hugging Australians".

By this stage I also hadn't worn shoes for days and my feet were looking very manky...

The finals and party finished off worlds. I won't go into the results but the finals showed me a few things...
  1. I prefer watching games where I know the players
  2. Call-fest ultimate sucks
  3. Japanese teams are cool to watch
The party showed me a few things too
  1. Lining up sucks
  2. England/Ireland/Australia/America all could compete in the "obnoxious drunks" world champs
  3. Prague on the river is pretty night and day
  4. Getting your Shish on will put you back on track and always help you sleep the sleep of kings
As predicted the check out was a confusing affair with a massive amount of faffing... But the end result was I did get to see the castle finally (so I'm now getting my Prague on). The castle is nice (although not battlementy and castley... more old buildingy and palacey) with some awesome views. And we then went to "The (nightmare of RSA enthusiasts everywhere) Pub" to pour our own beers, have dinner and watch the World Cup Joke... I mean final... The best point of that evening was clearly WB's face when he ordered his "chips"... Priceless

So that's the end of frisbee... More on the rest of Prague later... but before I go, time for "the key is no" man story.

At Strahov hostel/dorms you have 12 buildings packed with rooms for students (during school time) and tourists (during non school tourist time). There is a main office with helpful staff and a front desk in each building staffed by an absolute moron.
With one key per room (of two people) you had to give your key in to reception whenever you left so as to not lock out your roomie if you separated from them.
One afternoon/evening I returned to the dorms to say "Hi, room 138 please"
"No"
"Uhhh yes... here is my card"
"The Key is no"
*right... Paul must have it... go get Paul*
"Paul, do you have the key?"
"No"
"Hmmm"
"Hi, we're from room 138, here are our cards"
"Key is no"
"Uhhh we don't have it... we gave it to you as we were told to"
"is no"
*right... lets hit up reception*
"Hey we're in block three"
*Wait for man to return from his walk away laugh and explain situation*
"I will call"
*call, talk in Czech*
"He will let you in"
*Decide to go to bed, as getting him to let us in twice might be to hard*

The next morning
*Bugger, left my pass in the room... better go get man to let me in*
"Hi can you let me in to room 138?"
"Here is key"
WTF!

The other ripper Key is no moments include Rosie and Tom having NO key and needing the lock to be changed and Tom and Nat simultaneously locking their keys in the room only to be saved by Captain Keys and his Overnothings... Words can't describe it... you must see the pictures.

Love, Hugs and Kisses
ANt

ps I'm a hedgehog FINDER not MOLESTER

No comments:

Post a Comment