This blog is essentially a collection of posts I used to write on Facebook combined with my travel blog and expanded to make a very public forum of my thoughts regarding Pop Culture, The Interweb, Cartoons, Comics, Ultimate Frisbee, Absurdity, Life, Travel and whatever else captures my attention long enough to write about it...

Enter at your own peril!

8 June 2010

The end of Frankfurt and The start of Berlin

So it's been a few days since my last post (I think... I'm a bit hazy on the last few days and in fact how many days there have been... see the next post as to why). But here's the write up on what sort of stuff I have been up to.

So after a slighty pointless trek to the applewine bar area of Frankfurt (We crossed purposes with a bunch of seppo frat boys in the hostel who just wanted to get wasted... so the idea of a 20-30min walk to have a single drink or two when there was a cheap bar at the hostel seemed alien to them) I arose on the 3rd and made plans with Katrina, Tim and Avis to go Museum viewing before I met the boys at Frankfurt station.
Now Frankfurt is known for having a stupidly high number of museums, but given the 3rd was some sort of religious holiday our choices were slightly limited. I was all for Natural History (surprise!), but other front runners were modern art, and the SECOND largest collection of hammers in Germany... Yep you read that correct, the SECOND... Now this means one of two things; either there is more than one Hammer Museum in Germany (and I'll believe that if any country was going to have more than one hammer museum it would be Deutschland) or there is a private collector of hammers out there with more hammers than a museum... which I would also believe is possible in Germany...
Due to the Nat History and Archaeology museums being closed we ended up at the Modern Art Museum (Not hammers... NOoooo). I'm not an ''artiste'' but I do like art... but modern art really shits me at times... Most of the first floor was pretentious elitest try hard crap... If sending postcards is art Suj better not profit from me without my knowledge...
Some of the Andy Warhol stuff they had wasn't bad though (although there was a lot of man-wang drawn there) and the ''twilight arch'' by James Turrell was cool... a big blacked out room with a UV light at one end.
I think the way I roll with Modern Art is you have 15 seconds to attract my attention and 15 seconds to interest me... if not I'm gone... I much prefer pop art to modern art, there is much less obscure wankery. Modern art seems to be deliberately trying to be obscure and difficult to get to be elitest... especially considering how simple it really is... I mean sending a postcard once a week with the time you woke up written on the back? who can't do that?
Colouring in squares of grid paper really doesn't deserve to be in an art gallery... either that or my old maths books from high school (not to mention my uni notes) are fucking masterworks...

We also saw gokarts driving on the road in Frankfurt from the window!

Other observations from Germany include a slightly unPC one... I feel kinda sorry for the jews in Germany... Not only did what go down went down (we all know about that) but pork is seriously like the national dish... That's tough... I've been eating a lot more pork here than anywhere else...
I also like Germans... but don't think I will ever ''get'' them...

Last night I hopped a train from Frankfurt to Berlin, checked in to Wombat hostel and did my laundry till 1am... PARTY ON! Got to bounce to another hostel tonight though... pain in the ass. I must've looked a treat wandering around the hostel with sports shorts, a long sleeve shirt and big doc martens with no socks on...
Not amazed at the hostel though, it's full of far to many seppos trying way to hard... and the hostel is trying a little to hard too. Americans are annoying, especially drunken loser frat boys who get way to drunk in their hostel and end up spewing in the hallway at midnight and not cleaning it up... I mean seriously... have some dignity and human ness... 80000 people at rock am ring all drinking for 4 days and I didn't see one person hurl... These clowns can't even handle a couple of small beers at a bar...

More to come later

Löve, Hügs änd kißes

ANt

No comments:

Post a Comment